Sure Secure Solutions is looking for a Ground Data System Operations Support Engineer to work on exciting projects with our customers. The successful candidate will be part of a larger team supporting Ground Data System Operations at various levels and will be an integral part of the team’s success.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Starting, monitoring, and debugging the operations of the OPERA SDS data production cluster, which will execute tens of thousands of jobs per day to generate hundreds of thousands or products daily, delivered to the archives
- Analyzing the performance of the cluster, identifying bottlenecks, propose possible solutions.
- Writing and executing scripts to execute data accountability, identifying gaps in data production, and product distribution to verify latency requirements
- Testing new software releases on development and I&T cloud environments before they are deployed into production
- Executing data processing requests for other OPERA teams, such as ADT (Algorithm Development Team) and PST (Project Science Team), to enable validation at scale of the science algorithms before the start of operations
- Identifying potential issues and problems before they arise, determining the root cause and
- Developing scripts to automate tasks when possible
- The candidate will participate in the project’s weekly meetings for task assignment, prioritization, progress report, and team collaboration, and work with the rest of the JPL SDS team to meet the project deadlines and milestones
- It is expected that the candidate will be able to work independently, reporting as needed to the Operations Engineering Lead, but requiring little or no daily direction.
- Experience with operating complex software systems composed of heterogenous applications,
including popular open-source engines and databases (Elasticsearch, RabbitMQ, Celery) and
Cloud hosted services
- Specific experience with AWS processing and data storage, including familiarity with the AWS console, EC2 instance management, S3 storage, Lambda, SNS/SQS, and concepts like Autoscaling groups and basics networking on the AWS cloud.
- Minimum 3 years of hands-on scripting using Python, shell, or similar scripting languages.
- Experience with configuring, executing, and debugging Docker containers
- Familiarity with working with client-server protocols, APIs, User Interfaces.
- Familiarity with Earth Sciences data formats (NetCDF, HDF, geoTIFF), services (OpenSearch, Cumulus) and data archives (DAACs).
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team.
- Strong dedication to mission success, willingness to debug complex problems, and attention to detail.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience with HySDS (Hybrid Science Data System) data processing engine.
- Knowledge of Dev/Ops methodologies including direct experience with setting up CI/CD pipelines with Jenkins.
- Experience with Infrastructure-As-Code (IaC) languages such as Terraform.
Education / Work Experience:
Bachelor of Science in STEM or a related field, or related discipline with a minimum of 3 years of related experience.
The work will be done in Pasadena CA.
Job Location: Pasadena CA